by some miracle, i got one of the last flights out of dc this past weekend before the #snowicane2016 hit. i was visiting my brother, kevin, in san diego who moved to the west coast about a year ago. while i’ve been to california a number of times, this was my first time in san diego. my sister and her bf, kimmy and chris, made the trek down from LA and the four of us spent the weekend exploring all that this wonderful city had to offer. it was so great to spend time with friends and family now living a coast away.
- nicos: tiny mexican hole-in-the-wall in ocean beach, aptly voted the #2 california burrito in america. $6 will get you a incredibly delicious california burrito stuffed with carne asada and crunchy french fries, the size of your forearm.
- neighborhood: american-style loungue/gastro pub in the downtown area with pimms cup cocktails on tap and incredible mussels. i later learned that there’s a hidden speakeasy in the back, so i guess this means i’ll be going back.
- crushed: special little place in pacific beach serving brunch and beer. we were taken with the pretzel bread, cinnamon roll pancakes, and make-your-own mimosa flights with interesting flavors such as grapefruit rosemary. super nice servers, too.
- mad beet: this place was a godsend the morning after two late nights in a row. they have made-to-order healthy fare such as acai bowls, smoothies and juices. the best part though is the hilariously clever names of their products (i.e. “beyoncai”, “canteloupe fiasco” and “honeydewtang clan”).
- baja beach cafe: we ate right next to the beach here in pacific beach with a+ views and decent fish tacos and bloody marys.